MENU

Estimated 1,500 Protest Gun Violence in Everett #MarchForOurLives

Woman chants at the march in Everett.

An estimated 1,500 people took to the streets in what is being called Everett’s largest rally in its history, according to Christopher Glans, co-organizer of the event.

Protestors were demanding stricter gun regulations and protesting the frequent school shootings and gun violence happening all over the U.S.

Rachel Loeder, a 10-year-old student at Silverlake Elementary, says “We need background checks and if they’re sick, [don’t] give them a gun.”

Simon Krane
10-year-old Rachel Loeder (left) and her 13-year-old sister, Mary Loeder (right).

People from all over Snohomish County and the greater areas came to march in Everett and rally at the Snohomish County Courthouse Plaza.

Cerri Rondona says her son Zachary was a former student at Marysville Pilchuck when four high school students were killed. “Unfortunately, he had to learn about gun violence at a very early age. I didn’t teach him about it, and the administrators had to,” she said.

Simon Krane
Marching Family: Parents Wilmer Rondona (far left) and Cerri Rondona (far right) march with their children on Hewitt Ave in Everett.

Amiaha Ames, a senior at Everett High School, says “[Guns are] way too easy to get ahold of. I’m pretty sure I can go on Craigslist and get one right now if I wanted.”

Simon Krane
17-year-old Amiaha Ames attends Everett High School as a senior.

She believes the solution is showing kindness. “Gun violence has gotten so out of control because we’ve eased up on hearing people’s feelings so they’ve resorted to other outlets,” she said.

Many speakers spoke at the rally. A mix of victims of gun violence and students from around Snohomish County, namely Marysville Pilchuck High School, spoke about gun violence and how we need to address it.

About the Contributors
Nataya Foss, Managing Editor of Digital
What interests you about journalism? I am frustrated with the news media industry as it is right now, and I want to change it. I love talking to people and understanding how events are impacting their lives. Where does The Clipper fit into your long-term goals? I  want to get into the Backpack Journalism program...