Clubs and Tutoring: How to Get Involved at EvCC

Information About EvCC’s Clubs, Tutoring Centers, and More.

Savanna Eickerman

Student LIFE office located in Parks Student Union.

Being a new student on campus can be difficult. But trying to integrate yourself at a community college can be even harder. Luckily, EvCC has many organizations and programs to help you have a successful and eventful college experience. 

Student LIFE (leadership, inclusion, fun and engagement) is just one of the many organizations we have here on our campus. It is the center of student community life. Meaning that student members organize and plan events that you are more than likely to see happening around campus. 

“Student LIFE is really great for getting to know other people. You have a support network here that’s built in and it’s really helpful for your academics. It’s been proven the more clubs you join and extracurriculars you do, the better you perform academically,” says Student LIFE arts and events coordinator Sarah Davies. 

Some memorable events that happen around campus are: the annual Student LIFE kickoff, dance parties, and even epic halloween costume contests. Although being a member of Student LIFE is a commitment, it surely allows you to integrate yourself into the college community and partake in some really fun events. 

Simon Krane
EvCC student receives a caricature during Fall Fest 2019.

Putting yourself out there in a new environment and around new people is something that can be difficult to overcome, but that’s why EvCC has an average of 40 to 45 clubs every year. 

Take advantage of the opportunities on campus that are outside of the classroom. Join one of the 45 clubs, go to a lecture, watch a basketball game, become a student leader.  Education is about more than just what you learn in the classroom,” says Jennifer Rhodes, associate dean of Student LIFE and athletics. 

Student LIFE is located in the Parks Student Union building, with student information available Monday through Friday. They are open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Fridays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you are looking to partake in an extracurricular activity, but would prefer it to be more education based, EvCC also provides clubs like STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and resources like The Learning Center and The Writing Center. 

The Learning Center is full of trained student tutors and they are available to help students with assignments, test preparations and is completely free to trojan students. 

“I think the Center is a great resource for new and returning students. Anyone and everyone is welcome to the Writing Center. Even if you feel confident in your writing, a second pair of eyes to look over everything never hurts” says student and Writing Center tutor, Sophia Nunn. 

The tutoring center is located in Rainier Hall 119, open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 6:50 p.m., and Fridays 10 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. The Writing Center is located in Gray Wolf Hall 150, open Monday and Tuesday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Wednesday 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. These centers are available to all students enrolled at EvCC.

Savanna Eikerman
EvCC Tutoring Center located in Rainier.