Drama Club Presents “Murder Town”

Behind-the-scenes of EvCC’s recent production

Simon Krane

Student actor Grace Webb plays Lisa Brown, a 1950’s housewife and murderer in Murder Town. The show runs until Dec 8.

EvCC’s drama club prepares for the opening night of the club’s latest production “Murder Town,” with the show running Nov. 29 through Dec. 1 and Dec. 6 through Dec. 8. To these actors, it’s all about teamwork as they rehearse each day to bring their characters to life. “We all seem pretty motivated to actually do it,” said Ashlyn Burgess, one of the actors in the play.

Simon Krane
Jameson Cook (left) and Sonja Kinzer portray characters who bond over their shared love of murder.

The play is an original written and named by Clayton Weller and is directed by Britney Barber. Weller and Barber were hired by Beth Peterson, the drama program instructor, who is also the adviser to the drama club and producer of the show. She hires these artists to help in the production of the play. “I don’t want people to just have my point of view,” said Peterson. Jamie Machado is the costume designer and stage manager responsible for light and set work. The set designer is Noah Holland with Matthew Horsley doing additional set pieces. Stephanie Davison one of the main characters in the play also helped in writing some of the scene work.

The style of the play is a mixed genre, a horror comedy. “It’s a thriller, but a comic thriller… anyone who loves comedy thriller will like it,” said Peterson. The play is set in a small town in the 1950s where murder is a regular occurrence. According to Peterson, Weller encourages students to help create the play with him. “He just didn’t blindly write for them,” she said. He had every one of them interviewed on what they want to do and the roles they want to play.

Simon Krane
Ashlyn Burgess (front) plays Becky Brown, the daughter of Lisa
Brown, in “Murder Town.”

Peterson says the theater program is about giving students the chance to do self-productions and giving them the means to experience it. With the production of this upcoming show, each actor is given the chance to bring in some of their own ideas and set pieces and props, allowing them to be responsible for the creation of the play. “We encourage our students on campus with the idea of collaboration, it’s kind of like seeing college goal in action,” said Peterson.

The drama club is open to all EvCC students and anyone can get involved in productions, not only club members. “Drama is a good tool and I think a lot of people should do it,” said Grace Webb, a drama student and an actor in the play. “It is the best place to make friends because you are forced to interact with people,” said  Horsley. Garry Larson, also an actor in the play, encourages students to join the drama team and to “get out of their comfort zones.”

Simon Krane
Victoria Hawk plays Jenny, the most popular girl at school.

Beginning next term, students will have to audition to be part of a play, “they have to understand the interpretation of the role, understand the play and bring something to the audition,” said Peterson. The club meets every Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. at Baker Hall 120.

The new play “Murder Town” will run through November to December and is set to have its first show on Nov. 29 at 7:30 p.m. at Baker Hall, room 120. It runs for approximately 2 hours and admission is free but donations are welcomed. “Come see the play, it is enjoyable for anyone,” said Horsley.

Simon Krane
After stressful rehearsals and manic performance schedules, the cast of Murder Town are in position for curtain call after one of the last rehearsals before their main performances starting Nov. 29 in Baker 120.