Sounds By The Sound: A Comparison of Your Favorites with Local Bands

Alternative rock and grunge is no stranger to the Seattle music scene. Home to hipsters galore Seattle just screams “alternative”. Lucky for us, we are just thirty minutes north of where alternative rock bands such as Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana and more recently Modest Mouse have grown into legends. As a music enthusiast, I am going to recommend local artists based on student’s music taste.

What Are Students Listening to? 

AAsprey_LocalSounds_Pic4web
Student Brittany Scott describes her music taste as “alternative rock.” Some of her favorites include Third Eye Blind, Cage The Elephant, Green Day, and Ellie Goulding.

AAsprey_LocalSounds_Pic2web

Another student, Tyler Annis prefers more of the Classic Rock scene, with favorites including Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, and Jon Bovi. “I just like the authentic sound,” said Annis.

Zack Catafeous describes his music taste as alternative pop, a genera that gets it’s roots from alternative rock, according to allmusic.com. With favorites like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Lana Del Rey.

AAsprey_LocalSounds_Pic3web
Kayla Cundy like all music — “but no country”. Her favorites include Journey, All Time Low, and Weezer.

Manny Sidhu listens to DMX and Mac Demarco. Mac Demarco is a lo-fi rock artist from Canada.  AAsprey_LocalSounds_Pic1web

Autumn Adams listens to “almost exclusively syth pop”, a genre that gets it’s roots from alternative rock according to allmusic.com. Her favorites include The Cure and Grime.

Local Artists

The cover of "Closed Knuckle Jaw" by The Grizzled Mighty.
Photo Provided
The cover of “Closed Knuckle Jaw” by The Grizzled Mighty.

“Closed Knuckle Jaw” by The Grizzled Mighty

This album has become one of my all-time favorites in the few short weeks since first discovering them on Band Camp. The Grizzled Mighty are bluesy rock with added fuzz. Similar to The Black Keys, or what a modern day Led Zeppelin would be. Songs like “For The Sake of It”  remind me of the “Thank You Happy Birthday” era of Cage the Elephant. They have an authentic feel but are progressive too. A must listen in my book.

My favorite tracks: “Fukushima,” “Luna Nova,” and “Finer Things.”

The album cover to "Sonic Bloom" by Night Beats, another underground Seattle artist.
Photo Provided
The album cover to “Sonic Bloom” by Night Beats, another underground Seattle artist.

“Sonic Bloom” by Night Beats

Self described as r&b, rock, soul, and psychedelic, Night Beats is anything but ordinary. With a overall vibe similar to early sounds from The Black Keys, but also reminds me of Mac Demarco because of their full sound. This artist also features heavy distortion and lyrics that make you think.

My favorite tracks: “Love Ain’t Strange (Everything Else Is)”, “Satisfy Your Mind,” and “Sonic Bloom.”

Listen at: https://nightbeats.bandcamp.com/album/sonic-bloom

The cover of "Damp Face" by La Luz, a Seattle based artist.
Photo Provided
The cover of “Damp Face” by La Luz, a Seattle based artist.

“Damp Face” by La Luz

This is my favorite of La Luz by far, even though its only an EP (or extended play) — its fantastic. This artist features psychedelic guitar riffs that remind me of Lynyrd Skynyrd, but the voice of Lana Del Rey and Mac Demarco mixed together. If the garage alt rock isn’t for you, check out their newest album Weirdo Shrine which has a more upgraded sound.

My favorite tracks: “Call Me in The Day,” “Damp Face,” and “You Disappear (Weirdo Shrine)”.

Listen at: https://laluz.bandcamp.com/album/damp-face

What’s your favorite music? Let your voice be heard contact Amelia Asprey via email ([email protected]) or on Facebook.