Cuffing Season

It’s that time of year again where the weather gets colder, holidays are coming up, and it seems like everyone is all of sudden getting into relationships. Why is it happening? It’s officially cuffing season.

Although having a special someone during this time of the year may be great it does bring up the question of dating in college and if students believe they have time for relationships. After asking several students on campus, both single and taken, if they think they have time to be in a relationship there were many different answers.

“Just make sure that you are not prioritizing a significant other over school so I’d say find someone who has the same goals as you,” says Sadie Hermann-Ballein, a student who is currently in a relationship. Students who are in relationships made it clear that a set amount of time has to be put into making sure a relationship could work and that communication is key to a lasting healthy bond.

As for students who currently are single, there are basically two thoughts. There are those who have the time to find someone and others who don’t really have the time or energy to focus on someone else but rather focus on their education. Cristofer Villarruel, single-by-choice student states, “It’s not really a big thing because I love myself so it’s cool. I go to the gym and do a lot of stuff for myself so I don’t really need a person to make me feel some type of way.”

Cuffing season is and can be a fun time for everyone. There are no right or wrong answers to whether you should be in a relationship or not during college; it’s everyone’s individual decision. To those who are taken, make sure to continue making time for significant others and be appreciative to have someone during these festive months.

“Don’t rush into things, take your time, and don’t be ashamed if you’re single or not,” says Evcc student, Jade Favors. To those who are single and are currently open to a relationship, don’t be afraid to get out there and don’t lose hope because a special person can come into your life at any time unexpectedly. “Be content, be happy where you are, make good moves and eventually the right person will come and everything will turn out good,” says student Abijah Fisseha. 

To those who are also single but aren’t interested in pursuing something with another person that’s great too. “You don’t need to spend time caring for someone else, even though that’s cool and all but that does take time,” says fellow Trojan Clarie Denise Calicdan.