7 Tips for a Successful First Year in College

The first year of college can be an exhilarating moment, full of anticipation and eagerness. For some, it can be an overwhelming experience especially if one has no idea of where to begin. Students of EvCC who have successfully completed their first year of college shared some helpful hints.

Sona Porter
Zane Mackinnon advises: stay on top of your work.

STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK

Don’t wait on getting things done, if you know something is going to be due, get started on it because otherwise it just piles up. Ask questions, visit your teachers during office hours just simple stuff like that.”  Zane Mackinnon 16

COLLEGE IS NOT A RACE

“Everybody finishes at different times; take as long as you need. Don’t compare yourself to your peers because what is important is getting good grades. If that takes you [for] a longer time, that’s ok because, in the end, you all are college graduates.” -Olivia Chatters

ASK FOR HELP

“Reach out, even though it’s uncomfortable for some to do as it is their first time in a new environment. Get out of your comfort zone and explore the resources the college has to offer, especially the help which is always there from lecturers and amongst your peers. Be willing to socialize and share what you know with others and get to know your environment and what you are learning.” – Ida Njie

Sona Porter
EvCC student Jeremiah Leathart reminds that college is not high school.

COLLEGE IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL

“It is an entirely different medium, take it seriously, act like an adult and start thinking like an adult. Make it your personal evolution and expect it to be hard and don’t fake it like high school.”- Jeremiah Leathart 43

TAKE NOTES AND CHECK CANVAS

“It is important to take notes in class the first day, that’s when assignments are usually assigned. You could lose track of them even though you think you gonna remember. There is a lot going on, check canvas daily to make sure there are no due dates for that night.” – Araceli Daza

BE RESPONSIBLE

“It is all on you, check your homework and all class work, it is your responsibility to make sure you get everything on time. Be mature about college and don’t think everything is about you. In high school, they hand out report cards and you come to college everything is due in 3o minutes, that was a wake-up call, I wish I knew that.” -Madison Canonica 20

Sona Porter
Madison Canonica advocates responsibility.

MAKE HOMEWORK A PRIORITY

“In order to do well, one needs to focus and do all assignments, in my first year I didn’t focus on doing my assignments and that was an obstacle for me. Set time to study for the particular class and learn new materials.” -Francisca Ortis