The Ban and EvCC

EvCC President David Beyer issues a statement, reassuring students

Courtesy Photo

Fred Gilbert, Photography Technician at EvCC said, “One of the major strengths of our country is our diversity.”

President Donald Trump recently released an executive order to ban seven countries from entering the country. Muslim-majority countries are the focus that will not be allowed to enter the U.S. for 90 days (Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen) and refugees for 120 days.

Trump’s ban is getting push back in the media and details are changing as this story develops. The ban affects EvCC because it prevents the school from accepting admission from certain students because of this being an executive order.

Fred Gilbert, Photography Technician at EvCC stated, “Obviously terrorism is a problem but this isn’t the way to handle it. It has brought chaos nationally and worldwide.” Gilbert continued on to say, “It was done so badly that if there were a terrorist wanting to come into the country now would be the time.”

EvCC President David Beyer released a statement about what this means for EvCC and where the school stands in the midst of this whole ordeal:

“At this time in history…the Board of Trustees and President of Everett Community College, reaffirm our resolute commitment to an open, equitable and safe educational experience for all members of our campus community.” Continuing on to say, ”Finally, we are unwavering in our commitment to upholding the vision, mission and core values of Everett Community College within a campus culture of respect, advocacy and engagement for all.”

Beyers’ email to all EvCC students ended on a reassuring note. “In the meantime please know that: EvCC is committed to

* Creating an institution that is free of intimidation, harassment and deportation.

*  We will not voluntarily assist U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and other immigration enforcement officials without a direct court order.

* Our staff, including campus security, will not contact or question individuals regarding immigration status.

* Pursuant to FERPA, staff will not disclose, without student consent, the immigration status of any EvCC student or personal information.”

Courtesy Photo
Donald Trump has been tweeting his feelings about this ban and where he stands as it unfolds.

Trump tweeted on Jan.30, defending the ban by saying, “If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the “bad” would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad “dudes” out there!”

Washington state Rep. Rick Larsen had a press release against this order stating, “This executive order scapegoats refugees fleeing war, terrorism and persecution – that is as low as it gets,” said Larsen, a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee.”

Veronica Johnson, running start student at EvCC stated, “Trump is trying to organize this before it blows up…this is potentially really scary for people who are not immigrants. I am not an immigrant myself, putting myself in that situation would be really intense.”

This travel ban affects more than the U.S. and certainly more than EvCC students but President Beyer assures EvCC students that EvCC will remain a safe place for students until the ban is up.