MENU

Azrael Howell Says Goodbye

EvCC student leader leaves for Seattle University

EvCC+student+Azrael+Howell+is+off+to+become+the+2018-19+Student+Body+President+at+Seattle+University+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Azrael Howell Says Goodbye

EvCC student Azrael Howell is off to become the 2018-19 Student Body President at Seattle University

photo provided courtesy of Azrael Howell

Azrael Howell, former EvCC student body president and well-known student leader, is off to seek new opportunities at Seattle University. He will serve as Seattle U’s 2018-19 student body president. Azrael Howell says, “I am gonna miss EvCC a lot…my heart is always here.”  

Howell attended Seattle U’s fall preview in 2016 along with a friend who was interested in transferring there. After listening to student stories and hearing the school’s mission, he was convinced he needed to apply.

Howell sees many opportunities opening up for him at Seattle U and likes that the school itself is really well known for social justice and community engagement. “I can see myself at Seattle U,” he says.

He was offered a $16,000 merit scholarship for his high GPA and an additional $10,000 for becoming an Alfie’s scholar, which is a scholarship regarding leadership and creating more civility in the world.

As excited as Howell is for the student body president position he is taking at Seattle U, he hadn’t sought the position. Howell’s name was recommended to student government by Carol Cochran, the advisor for the Alfie Scholars program.

Howell says, “Even if I didn’t get this position I still would have looked for the opportunity to get involved, especially in leadership. I love student leadership because it’s a powerful tool on any campus to bring awareness to student voice.”

He also states that students shouldn’t be afraid of changing their path. He originally had a set pathway he was seeking in natural medicine and to attend Bastyr University but the more he got involved the more the idea changed. Howell says, “I think it’s important for students to be open to change because you may have an idea of a pathway and it’s good to have a guideline but also be open to change because as you go through classes, you’ll find things that might interest you.”  

Howell is excited to attend Seattle U and to learn about the culture of the campus and see where he fits in and how he can create legacies there. Apart from being involved with leadership he also brought great things to our campus such as the mentoring program and propels program.

His legacy here at EvCC includes building community and connections for students and himself. He hopes to get a bachelor’s degree in psychology to become a life coach. He wants to show people how great they are and show them the capacity they have to work through their problems.

His advice to students everywhere is to challenge, provoke thought, use your voice, and to not limit yourself. “Your voice is your power. Speak up in your classes, on campus, but do it in a way that people will hear and listen to you. Don’t just shout to be shouting,” he says.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Azrael Howell Says Goodbye”

1. Azrael Howell on November 29th, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you, Selene!

2. Thomas Cooney on November 29th, 2018 6:48 pm

Karaoke rules!!! Congratulations Azrael!!!

3. L.E. on December 1st, 2018 8:02 am

I am so proud of my son and what he has been able to accomplish. EvCC was a transcendent experience for him, and he has taken all the good to Seattle U. where he continues to advocate for students. What a wonderful article. I wish him all the best in his senior year at Seattle U. I know more great things await you and the other people whose lives you touch!

4. Roger on December 2nd, 2018 7:40 am

Extremely proud of my nephew, his continued growth as a person and his unwavering commitment to social change.

5. Niel on December 8th, 2018 12:47 pm

Wish you continued success Azarael in your quest of education, leadership and service. Well done and congratulations

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.