How to Stay Healthy:Tips from EvCC Nursing Students

EvCC held it’s quarterly health and wellness fair Feb. 6 where the nursing students were there to provide information, literature and tips on how to improve your health. Each table was set up with a different topic with nursing students ready to explain and answer any questions you have about their topic and some tables even had snacks.

Nursing+students+Amanda+Alps+and+Erika+Payne+give+students+ideas+for+healthy+snacks+that+will+help+give+your+brain+that+power+it+needs+to+study.+Not+only+did+they+give+ideas+on+snacks+but+they+even+brought+some+in+for+students+to+taste+test.+

Anna Pease

Nursing students Amanda Alps and Erika Payne give students ideas for healthy snacks that will help give your brain that power it needs to study. Not only did they give ideas on snacks but they even brought some in for students to taste test.

1. Make sure you are getting an adequate amount of sleep each night. Studies have shown students who get A’s and B’s tend to get 35 minutes more of sleep compared to students who get C’s and lower.

2. Make sure you are getting enough water. However, you might not need that 8, 8 ounce glasses of water like you have been told. There is a simple formula to calculate how much water you should be drinking each day. You take your weight x 67%= ____ oz then take the ____oz/ 16.09.

3. When you wash your hands, be sure to wash for at least 20 seconds. Also, opt to use paper towels instead of the hand dryers. Germs pool at the bottom of the hand dryers so when they are turned on the air blows the germs back into the air.

4. There are some germs that sanitizer doesn’t kill, like C. diff, a bacteria that can overgrow and release toxins that attack the lining of yours intestines, so make sure you are washing and now just sanitizing.

5. The FDA does not regulate the amount of caffeine in energy drinks, nor is the company required to tell you how much is in each drink. Instead of drinking that Red Bull or NOS opt for caffeinated tea, diet coke or just plain coffee.

6. You may think that the flu shot is what caused you to get sick but that is a myth. The flu shot is injecting a “dead virus” so you cannot get sick from it. If you feel flu symptoms after getting the shot you probably were already exposed to a different germ.

7. While sugar is essential for energy and brain function you shouldn’t over indulge. The recommended daily serving for adult males is 37g and an adult woman is 25g which is about equal to one bag of M &M’s.

8. For every hour you spend sitting you should get up and walk around for 5-10 minutes to help prevent your spine from curving, stiff muscles and even diabetes and colon cancer.

9. Contrary to popular belief, a cold shower and coffee will not sober you up faster; you have to wait for your body to metabolize all the alcohol.

10. If you are prescribed antibiotics make sure that you are taking them exactly as directed by your doctor and you finish the dose. Not doing this is contributing to the rise of superbugs. There is currently a form of drug resistant Gonorrhea going around because of the misuse of antibiotics.

11. It is important to make sure your relationships are healthy as well. Don’t settle for a relationship because it is convenient. Make sure you know the difference between a healthy relationship and an unhealthy one.

12. Go outside and get some exercise! Hiking is a great example, not only is it good for your physical health but it is also good for your mental health.