EvCC College Access Program Encourages Higher Education For All

The College Access program at EvCC is providing students with a chance to give back, by encouraging nearby low-income secondary school students to pursue a higher education. With tuition prices soaring across the country, (up 70% in Washington State over the last 5 years, according to National Public Radio) many low-income students are choosing to forego college. To combat this issue EvCC is utilizing an $18,500 grant from Washington Campus Compact to show that college is a viable option.

“The rising cost of tuition has affected everyone with their eyes set on a higher education,” said Adam Bingham, a second year Running Start student at EvCC who was raised in a low-income family. “Students that come from low-income families are being deprived.” The program focuses on schools that have a 50 percent or higher free or reduced lunch population rate. Coordinators Louis Harris and Krizia Cruz, train EvCC students to become college access coaches.

“We give them tips on how to be good mentors,” said Harris. “Because we are working with the AVID program [Advancement Via Individual Determination], our coaches need to be trained in AVID curriculum.” While coaches are selected on a volunteer basis, they are given a lot of responsibility. “Coaches help students with their homework, study skills, and developmental skills,” said Cruz. “In high schools, they encourage them [students] to pursue college, and provide them with recourses to have a better academic school year.”

The program teaches students how to be academically successful, while giving them the tools to pursue college. One of the glaring needs Harris and Cruz have found is how to access money saving options. “We will have someone come in from admissions and financial aid to speak with them,” said Harris. “Besides FAFSA loans there are lots of scholarships and programs that we like to guide them to.”One of the programs they try to emphasize is Running Start, which allows high school students to attend college tuition-free. For Bingham, this was the only way college was possible.

“Growing up in a poor household I never expected something like this for myself,” said Bingham. “Running Start has forced me to be self-dependent and accountable; the opportunities I have gained are truly a blessing.” As expected for a first year program, College Access has experienced growing pains. “The biggest struggle has been finding students who have an open availability that’s able to match the required time our schools need for coaches to be at,” said Cruz. “We have a handful of wonderful coaches, but there’s a specific time frame for the AVID program, and our coaches are usually either in class or getting out of class which doesn’t give them enough time to get back.”

However, the response from EvCC students wanting to get involved has sparked encouragement for the future. “Students are coming in and out of our office asking when the next volunteer event is going to be, or when can they go out to schools,” said Cruz. “They want to go out into the community and be that change, it is really inspiring.” Ultimately, the program hopes to lead students to a brighter future by making the college experience more accessible.

“We want these kids to see the potential they have in themselves, and not because we are there to help them,” said Cruz “There are so many things for them to be confident about, and college is one of them.” For students like Bingham, it is about giving back. “I would like to join because I know what these students are going through,” said Bingham. “It is not easy, but hopefully with help, these students can make it.”