Everett Farmers Market Opens: How Shopping at Local Markets Can Better the Community

Sarah D. Zimmerman

Locals shop for farm-fresh produce at the Everett Farmers Market.

By shopping at local farmer markets and co-ops, students promote sustainability that could result in a healthier planet.

One prime example of a good place to shop would be the Everett Farmers Market- a series of stands and tents that vendors bring to share their goods with the public. It is close to EvCC students and new vendors come with fresh produce and products every Sunday afternoon throughout the summer.

At this market, students can find anything from homemade vinegar to tie-dye t-shirts.  A popular item that’s been selling in grocery outlets lately has been Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV).

Sarah D. Zimmerman
Josh Kramer behind his stand on opening day with all of his products lined in front of him.

At the Cascade Shrub Farm stand, Josh Kramer claims that the ACV he sells is made with “100%  all-natural ingredients and has a [large] amount of health benefits.”

Not only is ACV healthy, but since it is closer to home, the emissions rate and amount of energy needed to get it to the pantry is much smaller than a majority of products sold in generic grocery outlets.  

Some other benefits of shopping from locations like this include “know[ing] your farmer,” as said by Laura Wild, one of EvCC’s nutrition teachers.  This means that buyers are able to easily track any illnesses that break out and eradicate them before they become a larger issue. By purchasing products from these farmers, students are also helping to support their community.

When asked what the best part of selling items at the market was, Kramer stated that “seeing people enjoying what we [made]” is what brought him the most joy.

Sarah D. Zimmerman
A vendor offers Mother’s Day wishes alongside plant sales at the Everett Farmers Market

One possible downfall, Laura Wild claims, is that anyone who goes to the market should “know their prices.” Sometimes grocery outlet prices are lower for the same product- though not always as fresh and nutritious.

Some ways to avoid spending too much would include going with a list and budgeting your funds. Most vendors only take cash so it is easy to pull out the exact amount you are willing to spend.  The Market also has a token system for customers using Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. Participants can spend tokens on fresh fruits and vegetables, helping ensure accessibility to local produce for all. The worst part of the market, in Wild’s opinion, was that it wasn’t open all year.

Some people are discovering the Farmers Market for the first time. Shopper Alycia Johnson was most excited to see the variety around the market and the “great sense of community.” Most of all, she believed that the market was “a really good representation of people’s art and passions.”

Sarah D. Zimmerman
Keri Jones, tie-dye vendor at the market, displays her wares.

Overall, by going to local markets rather than grocery outlets, students are helping to build a greater sense of community and lowering risks of illnesses within it. By shopping at exciting places like these, it also reduces the amount of energy used and prevents a smaller percentage of fossil fuel from clinging to our atmosphere.