Students Show Solidarity and Support for Christchurch Victims

EvCC+students%2C+faculty+and+staff+pose+for+a+picture+at+the+solidarity+event+to+support+the+victims+of+the+Christchurch+tragedy+in+New+Zealand%2C+as+well+as+the+Muslim+community+at+EvCC.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

EvCC students, faculty and staff pose for a picture at the solidarity event to support the victims of the Christchurch tragedy in New Zealand, as well as the Muslim community at EvCC.

Simon Krane

Simon Krane

Simon Krane

Just before spring break, on Wednesday, March 20, students and faculty gathered on campus to show solidarity and support for the victims of New Zealand’s Christchurch terrorist attack where worshipers were targeted and killed for their faith days earlier.

EvCC’s Muslim Student Association(MSA) and Student LIFE organized the solidarity event, encouraging all “EvCC students, faculty, and staff to the event to show support for the Christchurch tragedy victims, their families, and community,” per the school’s website.

Simon Krane
Zarith Mohammad, student ambassador and ASB senator(center, in pink), and Adja Fame, Program Specialist for International Education(right), in a somber moment during the Christchurch solidarity event on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

A moment of silence and prayer were held at noon in the Parks Student Union. Golden ribbons were handed out “as a symbol of solidarity and support” for those involved in the tragedy. Donations were also accepted to be sent to the victims’ families.

Riza Hassan, MSA secretary and second-year student, led the event. Hassan says, “The association and I were very grateful to see many turnouts during the event regardless of the time constraint and finals.”

He says that many Muslim students were impacted by the attacks, feeling “terribly uncomfortable” practicing or speaking about their faith, attending mosque and wearing hijabs out in public. He hopes that this event helps the many Muslim students on campus feel welcomed and supported.

Hassan says that the showing of support by faculty and staff in attendance was comforting. “Their presence made us feel supported because we believe that faculty and staff members play a significant role in shaping a safe and open college environment.”

Simon Krane
Riza Hassan, Muslim Student Association secretary and second-year EvCC student (shown, at microphone) led the solidarity event. He encourages fellow students to “create a culture that spreads love, not hate.”

He encourages fellow students to “create a culture that spreads love, not hate” and not to be afraid to ask questions and get to know more about the Muslim community and faith, being wary of false messages about Islam. He says for anyone interested in further resources, the Muslim Association of Puget Sound(MAPS) in Redmond has many opportunities to learn more about “Islam, interfaith understanding, human rights, and Islamic social justice.”

For those looking for ways on how to support the Muslim community after the tragic events in New Zealand, Hassan says, “Everyone can show support to the Muslim community by providing us a safe environment to practice our faith. Second, show solidarity by learning the truth about our faith and community. Talk to us and we would be happy to share our stories.”

Donations are currently closed, but for those who wish to further contribute, Hazzan provided this link to a New Zealand-based fundraising group. Lauchgood.com/Christchurch

Click through photo gallery for more photos from the event:

• (l-r) Ahmad Zaferi, Anna Orozco, Muhammad Zafar(formerly known as Nicholas Freeman), Yusuf Rasyid, Nadia Kamaruddin and Layla Omer at the donation and information table before the afternoon's solidarity event outside of Student LIFE.

• Gold ribbons of support were offered at the solidarity event. Brother Yusuf Rasyid mentioned that gold is a color symbol of the moon and stars as well as a symbol of the Muslim community around the world.

• Donations were collected and sent to a New Zealand organization, which will distribute the funds to victims' families and help cover hospital costs.

• Instructor John Bruemmer (standing) visits with students at the information table during Wednesday's Christchurch solidarity event.

• Faculty instructor John Bruemmer (left) and Riza Hassan, event organizer and Associated Student Body Vice President of Administration (right), talk about the day's events and about the tragedy in Christchurch, NZ. Hazzan says the Muslim Student Association was grateful for the turn out of staff and faculty at Wednesday's event. "We believe that faculty and staff members play a significant role in shaping a safe and open college environment."

• Despite being finals week, a good crowd gathered in solidarity for the Muslim community and to show support for the victims of the Christchurch, New Zealand's terrorist attacks.

• Riza Hassan, Muslim Student Association (MSA) secretary and second-year EvCC student led the solidarity event.

• Brother Yusuf Rasyid, first-year EvCC student and 2019-2020 MSA secretary, recited a prayer at the Christchurch solidarity event on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

• Ahmad Zaferi, second-year EvCC student and MSA president, gave the speech at the Christchurch solidarity event on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

• Zarith Mohammad, student ambassador and ASB senator(center, in pink), and Adja Fame, Program Specialist for International Education(right), in a somber moment during the Christchurch solidarity event on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

• EvCC students, faculty and staff pose for a picture at the solidarity event to support the victims of the Christchurch tragedy in New Zealand, as well as the Muslim community at EvCC.

• (l-r) Students Maftuna Rakhmatova, Layla Omer and Zarith Mohammad show their support at the Christchurch solidarity event.

• Zarith Mohammad, student ambassador and ASB senator, and Adja Fame, Program Specialist for International Education, embrace at the Christchurch solidarity event.