EvCC Gather and Connect with help of the Diversity and Equity Center

Emily Lint

EvCC students grabbing some snacks at the Diversity and Equity Center open house.

It was a Tuesday morning. Tuesdays are the day that are usually described as slow and bland by most college students, better known as the day before Wednesday. On Tuesday January 13th however, the third floor of Parks Student Union was lively with smiling faces and plenty of snacks and drinks. In the Student Diversity and Equity Center, students and faculty members gathered for an open house where they could share ideas, ask questions, and connect with the Diversity and Equity team. People gathered with snacks in hand to introduce themselves to each other and learn some of each other’s history and most importantly become acquainted with the Diversity and Equity Center and its staff.

According to the EvCC website, The Diversity and Equity Center works “to recruit, retain, and graduate students of color, re-entry women, and LGBTQ students,” as well as act as a place that “serves as a campus resource center on diversity and coordinates institutional diversity initiatives.” They also hold programs that are designed to reach out to elementary and middle school students.

An AmeriCorps recruit and an EvCC students introducing thensleves at the Diversity and Equity Center open house.
Emily Lint
An  AmeriCorps recruit and an EvCC students introducing thensleves at the Diversity and Equity Center open house.

In an interview with Maria Pena, the chief diversity officer of the center, Maria said that there is a tremendous amount of interest and sincere desire from the campus and the community to work together and make a difference for students. Maria says that The Diversity and Equity Center is trying to understand the internal and external perception that people have of the campus and react to this feedback to improve or correct things that need to be focused on. Jerod Grant, the director of the center said that one of the main questions of focus for him on campus is “What can we do that we have not been doing?” An example of an event that The Diversity and Equity Center provides to improve campus life is Real Talk, which allows students, staff and faculty to let go of their titles at the door and speak in an open and trusting environment.

If you are looking for information regarding student support services, student leadership and development, lifestyle improvements or changes, or staff and faculty support The Diversity and Equity Center is the place to visit. They are open Mondays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, and Tuesday-Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. The Diversity and Equity Center is located on the third floor of Parks Student Union.