The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

From the Bottom Up

The life of Heather Uhl

November 28, 2016

Heather is the middle sibling with an older brother and twin younger sisters.
Janice Hamilton

She once lived in a boy scout ranch, trading chores for a roof over her head. She graduated with a dual major in Library Science and Art History. She speaks three languages.

This is EvCC librarian Heather Uhl, and she never gave up.

Born in a house in Venice beach, California, her parents were musicians.  In between music gigs, her father worked as a plumber and taxi driver, while her mother was a special needs kindergarten aid. Because her parents were free spirits, the family moved around a lot in her younger years from Los Angeles to Augusta, IL and Tucson, AZ in an old Dodge that had to be push-started on occasion.

Her family in poverty, for the four years of high school Uhl lived in Camp Josepho: a boy scout ranch in Santa Monica Mountains. Uhl’s father was the caretaker and plumber, so they received free rent in exchange.

Despite her unorthodox childhood, Uhl doesn’t have a problem with lending her time to others. “Heather is generous with her time and passionate about sharing the library’s collection,” co-worker Deanna Bundy said.

Uhl has been with EvCC for four years, but she wasn’t always going to be a librarian. Growing up, her parents told her she should be a scientist.

Co-worker Teresa Jones said “If I had to think of one word to describe Heather Uhl, it would be generous of heart and mind and with her time.”
Janice Hamilton

Following that path, within the first year of college Uhl did scientific illustrations for her botany class.  She loved looking at what was under the microscope rather than studying botany.

She quickly realized science wasn’t the way to go. It was important for her to be happy within her career choice as well as feeling fulfilled.  “The thing we all reach for our whole lives,” Uhl added. She changed her major and at times took 21-24 credits to receive a dual degree.

Heather attributes her mother for teaching her the love of books and education. According to Uhl, her mother never gave up despite a terrible motorcycle accident threw her into a coma for a month. When she regained consciousness, the nerve damage destroyed any hope of becoming a nurse, causing her to go back to school.

Heather is generous with her time and passionate about sharing the library’s collection,” co-worker Deanna Bundy said.
Janice Hamilton

While her mother studied for a new degree, Uhl’s school and library became her haven. “If it wasn’t for the library, I wouldn’t be here. That was my safe place.”

Today, Uhl still spends most of her time in the library. EvCC’s “Ask a Librarian” service allows students to contact a librarian 24/7 for homework help.

Co-worked Teresa Jones said “If I had to think of one word to describe Heather Uhl, it would be generous of heart and mind and with her time.”

Perhaps most fittingly, Uhl’s favorite quote is in Japanese, pronounced “nanakorobiyaoki”.

七転び八起き

It means “Fall down seven times, stand up eight.”“Never give up,” Uhl said. “Ever. When you fall, because you will, stand up.”