MENU
Filed under Identity

War on Poverty

How EvCC is Helping Students

Kesia+Ceniceros-TRiO+Associate+Dean.+Ceniceros+is+an+alumni+of+TRiO+Support+Services+at+Northern+Arizona+University.+She+worked+with+TRiO+for+nine+years.+
Kesia Ceniceros-TRiO Associate Dean. Ceniceros is an alumni of TRiO Support Services at Northern Arizona University. She worked with TRiO for nine years.

Janice Hamilton

Janice Hamilton

The TRiO program was the product of Lyndon B. Johnson’s war on poverty.

Here at EvCC, TRiO launched its 2016-17 fiscal year with a meet and greet, games, gifts and food this past September.  There are currently 260 members benefiting from the TRiO program. “TRiO is an amazing group of people,” said Ashwag Tobiya, a TRiO member majoring in Nursing.

TRiO began with the Upward Bound program in 1964. Talent Search, the second outreach program, was created as part of the Higher Education Act.

In 1968, Student Support Service was established.  It was originally known as Special Services for Disadvantaged Students. It became the third educational program of its kind, according to the website of the U.S. Department of Education.

Kesia Ceniceros is the associate dean who oversees staff operations and federal regulation policies, ensuring funding is used appropriately.  TRiO’s Upward Bound program celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016, and Student Support Services will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next year, according to Ceniceros. Ceniceros said “Trio is designed to support first generation disadvantaged college students in order to overcome barriers and celebrate success along the way.”

For the 2017 fiscal year, TRiO was awarded an additional $60 million from federal appropriations to continue providing support for students. Ceniceros said “With that level of funding, we will be able to carry the program until the next time we have to write our grant.” The current funding ends in the year 2020.  If renewed for an additional five years, a new and existing program will be funded through 2025.

Linda Summers- TRiO faculty advisor who works under the STEM grant.

Ruben Miranda Juarez Jr-Support Staff

Janice Hamilton
Andres Gomez

Andres Gomez-Office Assistant

Janice Hamilton
Ruben Miranda Juarez Jr

Summers supports students in science, technology, math, engineering majors and health science majors.  She suggests students meet with their advisors at least twice a quarter to ensure they are on the right path for a degree. “We are not here to replace faculty advisors but to add another layer of support for the students,” said Summers.

Omar Marquez-  TRiO faculty advisor

Marquez is new to the Washington area.  He moved from Chicago to Everett a year ago.  Marquez worked as a career supervisor for the Upward Bound program for high school students.  “My knowledge and experience in the TRiO program is a great fit”, according to Marquez about the newly funded TRiO staff.