The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

A Note from the Graduating Class

Advice to Future Trojans

May 31, 2016

Abby Tutor

Katie Ellis, an EvCC graduate, says Ratemyprofessor.com has been a lifesaver for her over her time at EvCC.

Dear freshman class and incoming students,

This is your time, your time to learn, to grow, to make this school your’s. We are approaching a new era in EvCC history, our sophomores are about to graduate and new students will be filling their places. Before they throw their caps into the air and say goodbye one last time, they would like to leave you with a few last messages for success.

Think about the small stuff, the assignments that are only a few points are what can really bring up your grade. Rebekah Pusateri, an EvCC graduate, says this is something she has had to learn over her time at EvCC. The extra points here and there can bring up your grade from failing to passing.

Use your resources. Another graduate, Katie Ellis, says Ratemyprofessor.com has been a life saver. While sites like these are not always accurate, sometimes they can really help you decide which class to take and figure out what you are signing up for. Advisers can also be great resources. Brittany Burns, who graduated last year from EvCC, suggests finding an adviser that is specific to your area of study that you really connect with. Coffee is a resource some graduates always look to for that extra boost. Suzanna Cunningham says she wishes she drank a little more coffee during her time at EvCC.

Rebekah Pusateri, an EvCC graduate, suggests taking time to get to know other students and attend as many school events as possible.
Alexis Jones

Rebekah and Katie agree that something all students should remember is to get involved in school activities. We are a community college, join the community. You could join a club, go to events or simply find a group of people with common interests to hang out with. Katie said, “Getting involved is more beneficial.” Rebekah wishes she took more time to get to know other students and really become involved in events. You are only here for a short period of time, so embrace it and make the most of it.

“Just keep at it…Don’t give up,” said Suzanna. So grab your books and pens, because this is only the beginning for you. Take risks, put yourself out there and most of all make the most of your EvCC experience.