The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

The Artistic Community: EvCC Students Share their Love for the Arts

March 7, 2016

Amelia Asprey

Outside the Ceramics Studio in Whitehorse Hall. It is a sanctuary for many artists on campus.

EvCC has an extensive art program and the artistic community on campus continues to grow. The students involved in the arts on campus are involved for many different reasons; some want to be able to open up their own art studio, while others find it great stress reliever. EvCC offers so many opportunities for students who are interested in art.

The artistic community at EvCC is broad and has a large range of people interested in the arts for many different reasons.

Zainab Jappie, who is a part of the art program at EvCC, eventually wants to open her own art studio.

Anthony Un, another EvCC student, differs from Zainab. Art is a hobby of his, but he hopes to pursue a career in the aviation field. When asked what he liked about art he said, “That you can just put a pencil to paper and just create anything.”

Beth Ha, an EvCC student, teaches art to elementary students, but she says, “I am here to enhance my own personal skill and expand my creativity.”

Swing Club, Drama Club, Dance Club, “Express It” and the Art Alliance are some of the clubs you can get involved with if you are interested in expressing your artistic side a little more.

The Art Alliance is a club for artists of all mediums, whether is it painting, sculpting or even welding. As Monica Ells, the President of the Art Alliance, puts it, “We like to be here as a resource to anyone who is interested in art.”

The art show at EvCC is one of the resources the Art Alliance provides for students of EvCC. It gives students a chance to feel what it would be like to be a working artist and even gives students the opportunity to earn a little extra cash.

EvCC provides many opportunities for artists, “Vibrations Magazine: is one of them. It is an art and literature publication that features students’ work. Once a year, students submit their work and a few of the best pieces will be featured in the publication. This magazine is a great way for students to get exposure to the art community. Zainib says, “It is helpful to find out what people think of your art.”

The artistic community has touched many students at EvCC and has helped them in their lives in many ways. For some that might have been learning to express themselves, for others it gave them the start they needed to pursue a career in the arts. Ha says, “I think for the first time, I found something (artistic medium) I really liked.”

View Comments(1)

The Clipper • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All The Clipper Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• W

William FMar 9, 2016 at 8:36 am

Vibrations 2016 entries due by March 15! Go to http://www.everettcc.edu/Vibrations to enter

Reply
1