Hayley Statema, Associated Students of Washington State University Everett, President. (Courtesy of Haley Statema )
Hayley Statema, Associated Students of Washington State University Everett, President.

Courtesy of Haley Statema

Hayley Statema; EvCC Alumni and WSU Leader

November 30, 2015

At some point in our EvCC journey, we all ask ourselves ,“what is coming next?”  For Hayley Statema it was no exception. Statema with her two years of Running Start and one more year at EvCC after that, moved on to the WSU Integrated Communications Program through the University Center here in Everett.

Statema decided to go into the Integrated Communications program after instructor Andrew Wahl, journalism faculty and Clipper’s adviser, introduced her to the program. She was previously a Clipper staff writer for two quarters while she was taking classes at EvCC.

As of right now Statema is in her last year at WSU, her senior year and she will be graduating from WSU Everett in May of 2016. Statema will obtain her Integrated Communications major and her a minor in Hospitality Business Management.

The 21 year old, describes the program as enjoyable, as it prepares you for the job. Statema will be one of the first ones to graduate from WSU Everett Integrated Communications program, along with her other 12 senior classmates.

This past year, Statema’s life changed when she was elected WSU Everett Student President last April. She states, “It has been really cool, I have leadership experience, I was president in high school … and I was student ambassador at EvCC. So it has given me the opportunity to grow as a leader and as a student rep … I love it.”

Statema’s motivation to become president sparked in her when she looked around the other five WSU campuses, including the main one in Pullman, and noticed how their student body government worked. Even though at first she didn’t want to step up to be president, during the elections Statema felt that she had to do since no one else wanted to be president.

Just like any other president, Statema has duties and responsibilities. She said, “I work a lot on forming relationships with the University Center partners … I do a lot of community outreach, I work on planning events with the rest of my team. I am also on the Presidential Search Advisor Comminute for WSU.” She is always trying to improve the campus experience, and says she often tries to ask students, “‘what is it that you’re missing?’ ‘where do you need help?’”

University Center Update:

Statema also talked about the WSU expansion across Broadway. This project will be completed by fall of 2017, however the whole building won’t be completed. This is in part because there isn’t enough capital funding, so instead of having all four floors completed, WSU Everett, will have three of them ready by 2017.

Statema along with WSU Interim President Dan Bernardo during the groundbreaking ceremony for WSU Everett across Broadway.
Courtesy of Hayley Statema

The building is going to be pretty open, “we are going to have specific areas … I know that there is going to be student services, student government wing in the second floor … Other than that it is going to be very similar to what we share in the University Center right now.”

One other program is going to be added into the four program that are already being offered and this program will be available next fall 2016 whish is Analytics, and then hopefully another program will be added after that. WSU Everett has a student body of 157 people currently.

All this was possible by the lobbying in Olympia students were doing. However, as Statema said, “this year we are not really going to ask for anything, because they have given us so much … this year is going to be more of saying thank you and getting people to come into the building to see why we need more money.”

“I totally recommend it to EvCC students. They won’t miss out on much and will save a lot of money by staying here, and we always visit Pullman.”