Hallo-Scream Fest: Student LIFE Hosts Costume Contest

Filled with  Zombies to the Village People, Hallo-Scream Clubfest was full of fright and fun. Starting off at 10 a.m. on Oct. 29, club tables spanned the length of parks, from the café to the student store. With candy in hand,clubs offered games such as “guess how much candy is in the jar.”While walking down the floor of club tables, you could hear music bumping near the stage.

Throughout the next few hours, students looked through club booths before settling into the events big show: the costume contest. In the corner of  the café, students and staff began to waiting in line to strut their stuff.

The music cued the beginning of the costume contest. Starting off, students from the student contestant line went one by one to the front of the room. Once on stage the contestant was asked “What’s your name”, “What is your costume, and “Why do you think you can win. After giving their best model poses they sauntered in front of the judges table for a brief moment. This is where further questions could be asked or specific comments could be made. Passing through all the student contestants, up next was the staff line.

When it came to staff, everyone seemed highly impressed. Instead of singles costumes, it seemed as if group costumes were the perfect go too. Gru and his Minions, The Wizard of Oz crew (even including the yellow brick road), and the village people from the YMCA were all spotted.

Each staff contestant or group had a routine to go with their costume. The Village People danced to YMCA, the Wizard of Oz crew recited lines from the movies, and even the minions followed Gru’s every command.

Finally, everyone had been through to the stage. This is where the judges took a break, and the dance club broke out some sick moves. Performing a few numbers, the dance club impressed students and staff alike. While after the performance the judges still had not decided on a winner, some students decided to jump in.

The DJ lead the music, which turned into the cupid shuffle where more students  jumped in to participate. Pop music phenomena “Watch Me” began to play, and a few students jumped in to show off their mad dance skills, the crowd loudly cheered them on. 

As everything settled down, Student Life leaders hoped on stage to announce the winner by costume. For students the winners were, drum roll please, Ms.Frizzle, Olivia (a very impressive zombie), and The Little Red Riding Hood who was attacked by the wolf. Winning students could later pick up their prize of a $50 visa gift card at the student life main office. Staff was also announced.

The winners for staff were in no particular order, Gru and the Minions, the Village People, and the Wizard of Oz Crew. Now that the mad rush of amazing costumes and great dancing was done students were free to once again roam the halls of clubs. Everything settled down and wrapped up around noon, and everyone  headed back to their regular lives with a little spook  in their step. 

Photos taken by Katja Wahl, Staff Writer, and Michael Rhodes, Visual Editor.