Travelogue Tuesday A Journey Through Indonesia

Inside the Penatara Temple, EvCC students watch the dancers tell story of Ramayana

Courtesy of Bernita Bontrager

Active Volcanoes, live performances and ancient temples are a few of the adventures Bernita Bontrager EvCC’s Running Start coordinator shared during the first Travelogue Tuesday this quarter. Travelogue Tuesdays are a weekly event at EvCC where students hear about the speakers international travels. Last July, Bontrager went on a three week trip to Java Indonesia with EvCC’s global studies class.

The class spent a few weeks learning about the language and culture before embarking on their trip. “It felt a lot longer, it was three weeks of solid learning,” Bontrager explained. The EvCC students were partnered with Mu Chung University whose students set up tours and answered their questions.

“Getting to meet the students at Mu Chung was the best part of the trip. They were so welcoming it was really cool to hear about their experiences. I still talk to some of the contacts I made,” says Bontrager.

EvCC students outside Candi Singosari Temple
Courtesy of Bernita Bontrager

When asked if she had any advice for future study abroad students Bontrager said, “Go for it, the study abroad program can give you experience with meeting people from other cultures. When you go remember to keep an open mind and be respectful. It is an amazing experience.”