The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

EvCC’s First Student House

Mountain View

January 30, 2017

Mountain View’s showroom bed.

Joanne Wu

Mountain View’s showroom bed.

EvCC offers an affordable way to start your four-year degree, the experience of hands-on training in professional and technical programs, the ability to learn English—the list goes on. However, it previously lacked something that no teacher could possibly teach: a place for students to stay while they attended school.

Plans of creating EvCC’s first ever student homes, Mountain View and Cedar Hall, began in 2013. Back then, it was just an idea, something the college had wanted to do. The idea didn’t become a reality until Sept. 2016 when EvCC opened up Mountain View.

Student housing was originally created for international students. However, there’s been reportedly more domestic students in housing than there are international. Including the four student staff members, there are 56 percent domestic students and 44 percent international students currently in housing. Residents range in age from 17 to 43, with 4 percent of students over the age of 25.

Joanne Wu
Small kitchenette inside the dorms.

Mountain View is also a convenient place for students who don’t have a method of transportation, which makes it an alternative for domestic students. As of right now, there are only 21 percent of students who have cars.

The first floor of the building includes the common room, the laundry room and the largest kitchen out of the 6 floors. Each bedroom includes a bed, desk, microwave, fridge and a bathroom. Every room looks the same in terms of design and set up, but students are free to personalize them however they like.

Each floor has a resident assistant. Their job is to work the front desk at night, check up on students, plan events and make sure the residents have everything they need.

Richelle Pidong is the only resident assistant in charge of both the fourth and fifth floor. In her opinion, the benefits of students living in student housing is that “it allows them the opportunity to be more independent,” as well as providing them the opportunity to attend community college and still “have the whole college experience.”

Joanne Wu
A washer and dryer are located inside the building.

Lea Wasson also mentioned that “students that live in housing while they’re in college actually have a higher rate of getting involved on campus, higher retention rate with the college that they are attending [and] end up doing better in school.”

Domestic student, Kaeli Greniermoses’ reason for choosing student housing was because “it was convenient, very close to school, gave [her] a room to sleep in and [an] opportunity to be more successful.”

With the ability to house 120 students—250 once Cedar Hall opens up next September—and the only requirement for students to rent a room is to just be a student, EvCC’s Mountain View student home is the place to go for any student looking for a place to stay.

A New Community for International Students

Toshiki Yamagiya
A dormitory in Everett Community College. It has 120 private rooms and they are almost full.

Half a year has already passed since Mountain View Hall was built.

Recently, the numbers of foreign students are steadily increasing here. In tandem, EvCC has built Mountain View Hall last September and is currently building  Cedar Hall.

The dorm has 120 private rooms so students can have their individual spaces. Almost half of them are international students from China, Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Brazil, Cameroon and El Salvador. They create diversity and enjoy making friends with each other.

Nur Auji, an international student from Malaysia, said she enjoys living in the dorm and making new friends and practicing to speak English. However, she have to cook by herself in the dorm.

Moreover, she is one of the Residence Assistances of Mountain View Hall. Their job is mainly in charge of helping new students, holding floor meetings and working at the front desk. They act as a mentor for international students. They also held a bake-off last month.

Toshiki Yanagiya
An international student from Malaysia and a residence assistance. She said the dormitory is like a platform for international students.

The housing’s convenient location is an advantage for students. “I believe that staying in the housing helps a student make friends on campus and feel more connected to the resources that Everett Community College is able to provide them,” Lea Wasson, a director of EvCC housing, said.

“It is helpful for students who lack transportation or do not live on an accessible bus route to campus,”  Wasson added. The residents can go to the college whenever they want on foot. The U.S. is a motorized society but most foreign students don’t have a car. It could be a decisive factor for these students.

Near Mountain View Hall, Cedar Hall will open next September. Compared with the existing dormitory, Cedar Hall will be a 132 bed apartment composed of single or double occupancy and a three or four bedroom style.

Both EvCC dormitories can provide a comfortable space and time for international students.

Toshiki Yanagiya
A dormitory that is under construction and will open next September. In addition to private room style, it has 3 or 4 bedrooms style and double occupancy style.