Finding the Help you Need

Getting the help you need to thrive in college is important to being successful. Around campus there are many places offering help to people from all walks of life. The Diversity and Equity Center and The Pride Center, located in Parks Student Union, are two places always looking to offer a helping hand.

Outside the Diversity and Equity Center located on the second floor of Parks Student Union. They provide many resources to help students succeed in college.
Alexis Jones

The Diversity and Equity Center

The Diversity and Equity Center strives to advocate, educate and support students, as well as eliminate aspiration achievement gaps, whether that be economically or socially. Students of color, those who come from single parents, parents with no degree or who have recently moved to the United States are often those who can seek the most benefit from the center, but all students are welcome and encouraged to visit.

The center provides many resources for students. Inside the office you can find information on financial aid, campus events and title VIIII information. Most of all they are there to provide counseling and help you on your college journey. Jerod Grant, the director of the Diversity and Equity Center said, “They (students) are already amazing, we are just their resources.”

Throughout the year, they put on several events including population-specific programs, “Real Talk Wednesday” and attend and host various conventions. “Real Talk Wednesday” is a weekly talk with facilitated conversations by EvCC staff and community members. Topics can range from religion to racial relations to understanding voting. The purpose of these talks is not to debate and argue, but to raise awareness and understanding of topics that are current in our world.

They also help set up students with mentoring programs in the area. Sergio Huacuja, EvCC student, has taken part in this program and enjoys getting to tutor young students.

Huacuja said, “If it was not for him (a Diversity and Equity Center staff member) I would not be here.”

The Pride Center located in Parks Student Union near the cafeteria.  They have resources for all students, specifically centered around the LGBTQIA+ community
Alexis Jones
The Pride Center located in Parks Student Union near the cafeteria. They have resources for all students, specifically centered around the LGBTQIA+ community

The Pride Center

Sammie Estremera sitting at her desk, getting ready for an upcoming event. The Pride Center holds events centered around the LGBTQIA+ community.   (Pic 5) The library of books inside the Pride Center. Here you can find information on LGBTQIA+ topics.
Alexis Jones
Sammie Estremera sitting at her desk, getting ready for an upcoming event. The Pride Center holds events centered around the LGBTQIA+ community.

The Pride Center is a newer addition to the EvCC community. It was born from The Safe Zone Program. According to Sammie Estremera, who is in charge of the Pride Center, EvCC is the only community college in the country with a pride center. The purpose of the center is to be a place where students can come to ask questions and truly be themselves.

Inside the center you can find a small library of books on LGBTQIA+ topics. They also provide several resources for students including, tampons, condoms and other safe-sex related products.

The Pride Center hosts “Queer Questions, Straight Talk,” which is similar to “Real Talk Wednesday,” but involves topics surrounding the LGBTQIA+ community. In cooperation with the Triangle Alliance, they host the annual Drag Show to encourage students to be themselves.  The center is also in charge of hosting Sex Week, a week every year that encourages safe sex and works to educate students on sexual topics.

Students are encouraged to come in, grab a cup of coffee, ask questions and chat with fellow students.