The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

Election 2016

EvCC Students Weigh In

October 11, 2016

The 2016 Presidential election has been a whirlwind of shocking media headlines, intense debates and an extensive exchange of verbal jabs between candidates.

Donald Trump, the Republican candidate, has drawn media attention through unscripted speeches and unfiltered speech. Recently, Trump has made media headlines for comments he made during a filming of Access Hollywood back in 2005. Trump’s comments, picked up by a hot mic on the show’s set, were in regards to his ability to get away with groping women because he is a celebrity.

His opponent and first female nominee for president is Hillary Clinton, former Secretary of State. Clinton has struggled to gain the nation’s trust. In late July, a CNN poll showed that 68% of participants did not trust her.

Hillary Clinton soaks up her crowds support on stage at her rally.
Courtesy Photo

At EvCC, 27% of students will be eligible to vote for the first time in the presidential election, and with the election just a month away, student views on the election should be highlighted. Ryan Swierkowski, 18-year-old EvCC student, supports Donald Trump.

“I like the taxation on trade,” said Swierkowski when asked what his favorite parts of Trump’s platform were.

Swierkowski quickly transitioned to points of Trump’s he disliked. “I disagree with his immigration ideas,” said Swierkowski. “I think he’s just trying to create an audience.”

For Trump, creating an audience has possibly been the smoothest aspect of his campaign. In March, a New York Times report showed that Trump led the list of presidential candidates (17 at the time) with $1.89 billion in free media, compared to the $10 million he paid for.

Taylor Brown is another student at Everett participating in the election in November. Unlike Swierkowski, her vote is going to Hillary Clinton.

Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for president, is shown here at one of his rallies, which are infamous for the unscripted speeches that accompany them.
Courtesy Photo

“I was supporting Bernie during the primaries,” said Brown. “The plans and policies I liked most from him was finding a way to allow students to have free college. That’s just something a lot of young kids stress about.”

While some supporters of Sanders remain reluctant to support Clinton, the vast majority have come together to pool their support for the former Secretary of State. “I don’t really care about the emails.” said Brown, referring to Clinton’s and the DNC’s several email leaks. “A lot of people are shook up about that, but the past is the past. I still have trust in her.”

For Swierkowski, the emails are a deal breaker. “Hillary lied about the emails,” said Swierkowski.

For Brown, Trump’s treatment of women has played a large role in her decision. “I think he’s an asshole and looks at women as objects,” said Brown. “He constantly bashes Hillary on her looks, and it has nothing to do with politics.”
Both Clinton and Trump can be criticized for several different hiccups during their campaigns and their pasts. “It’s like picking between throw up or diarrhea,” said Swierkowski. Ultimately, the nation will have to pick one candidate, come November.