R.I.S.E of Education Done Differently

Jonathon Aguilar

Conference attendants and presenters eating lunch and talking during the break.

One of this world’s greatest gifts is the gift to learn. But, sometimes that is easier said than done, and not everyone can take the same route to further their education. That’s why the students of EvCC took action.

EvCC held the third annual Resilient Intellectuals Seeking Equity (R.I.S.E) Conference on April 2, 2016. In short, this conference looks to offer a new light on encouraging students who think they can’t finish school to pursue higher education. The best part about this conference was that not only was it planned by students, it was completely hosted by them as well.

EvCC student Anthony Ansay said, “This is the first time I’ve been to the R.I.S.E conference and it’s been great.”

Student Body President Azrael Howell explaining his plan to help EvCC students with their learning.
Jonathon Aguilar

Not only was this conference full of EvCC students, but even the Student Body President Azrael Howell made an appearance and he was very excited to have R.I.S.E at EvCC. Howell said he hopes students can work on “personal growth, identity and cultural awareness.” His main goal was to “get EvCC students to bring about change starting in the community,” and that, “the next step is definitely to hold each other accountable and support each other.”

Student Anthony Ansay talking about his experience at RISE 2016.
Jonathon Aguilar

I took to a session of my own at the conference. I got to meet Katie Kenny and Gabriella Raisle, two wonderful presenters at the conference. The two talked about all the different way people can learn and how to make learning their own. Kenny said that you’re often told in the education system, “this is right and this is wrong.” She added, “but there are other ways to work around this.”

Raisle finished off the day with, “we can be successful with a growth mindset and achieving our goals and overcoming obstacles the way that fits your life.”