The student news site of Everett Community College in Everett, Washington

 SEA Club: Taking Action to Sustain Our Environment

January 18, 2016

Amelia Asprey

Some of the plants being grown in the greenhouse. Not all the plants being grown were planted by the SEA Club, many other students are able to use the greenhouse as well.

The Students for Environmental Action club originally began in the 1970’s. It was inspired by the first official Earth Day, according to Laura Wild, one of the club advisors. After a few years the club diminished. But about five years ago, a few students who were interested in saving the environment wanted to start it back up. Now the club meets weekly, working to take action to save the environment.

Originally meant for educating students on the environment, the club members decided on a major change. They wanted to do more than just educate; they wanted to take action. After this decision, the bylaws were changed.

The greenhouse was originally built in the 1970's, but after it had stopped being used it was turned in too storage. Years later it was turned back into a greenhouse, and is now used regularly by students.
Amelia Asprey
The greenhouse was originally built in the 1970’s, but after it had stopped being used it was turned in too storage. Years later it was turned back into a greenhouse, and is now used regularly by students.

Since then the club has shifted their focus. In club meetings, they work on taking action. Often, members will work in the greenhouse, which was originally built in the 1970’s. Tyler Ambrose, the club president, says working in the greenhouse is his favorite part of the club. While working in the greenhouse, members clean and prepare pots, plant seeds and grow various plants. Most of the work they perform leads up to the plant sale they hold in April.

The beginning stage of growing plants. The SEA Club learns about each step of growing something and how to execute the steps properly.
Amelia Asprey

Various field trips are taken throughout the year to learn about environmental action. The club recently joined the ORCA program on their boat to learn about water samples. In the spring, they plan on visiting an all organic perennial nursery. Richelle Pidong, the club secretary, enjoys going on these outings, but says “getting to know a bunch of other people,” is her favorite part of the club.

The club has visited many farms over the years, helping many students discover their passion for the environment.  Laura Wild, the club advisor, says this is her favorite part of the club; stating, “I love seeing students get excited about something.”

Tyler Ambrose, who is now the club president and has been a member for four quarters.
Amelia Asprey

SEA club members come from all different backgrounds. Connor Linse decided to join the club because he was new on campus and wanted to get involved. Tyler Ambrose needed additional volunteer work, so he decided this club would be a good option. Tyler now is in his fourth quarter of SEA club. If you are interested in learning more about the environment and taking action to save it, the SEA club is a great place to start.

The SEA club is often busy with fun and exciting ways to take action. They have guest speakers visit the club to talk about recycling, help clean up local parks, and even host make-and-take workshops for household cleaning products.

Everyone is welcome to join the club. They meet every Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Laura Wild said, “We would love to have them.” For more information, you can email Laura at [email protected].

Richelle Pidong said, “This is probably my favorite club.” Maybe it will be yours too. By planting something in the greenhouse with the SEA club, you could help save our planet and even discover a new passion.